[draft from work-in-progress]
This is an early draft of dialogue written whilst working on the “Parrot” project. The content of the dialogue in the finished film is discernably different.
- Are you listening?
- Yeah, I’m here.
- Right, I thought you hung up, for a sec.
- Ah, I see. So, yeah. Stories become something I can project onto myself. They become something for you to rely on. Stories become a way for society to null itself, ultimately.
- I see…
- I mean, the story could go like this, for instance.
As long as I’d been doing this, the importance in my life had shifted from a state of subordination and toward a
state of being incorruptible. Now I’m waiting to be loved, like a slack-jawed mistress in high heels. Yet comfort is in
short supply, and I’m walking unhurried through the foggy streets.
- Okay, but is that all there is?
- What do you mean?
- Like, I miss how it was; it hasn’t been the best this year.
- I know.
- That takes a toll.
- And there are these moments, you know…
- Yeah, I know.
- …like, going grocery shopping is a fucking nightmare now. I can’t stand the ordeal. It’s this crime, all of a
sudden, with so many eyes glaring. Plus, I scarcely find a point of entry when those situations emerge.
- And, I dunno, sometimes I’m at home and think that I’d rather starve to death, you know?
- Don’t say that.
- It’s true.
- The rules aren’t structured in a way that you could be thinking that. I don’t believe in that kind of stance.
I don’t think you do either, really.
- Maybe, but I’m increasingly becoming the impetus of immolation. So to speak. I’d rather not, but I think
something’s in the air now. Haha, I’d rather someone guillotined my head off.
- It’s not good to hear you talk like this.
- I’m sorry. I dramatize sometimes. It was mostly meant as a joke. Doing much better than last time we met, to be fair.
- Yeah, I don’t think you have to worry.
- I do. I wonder about the circumstances at hand. And, being perfectly honest, how they could affect me,
in the long run.
- So do I, but one can manage. I mean, really, what else is there to do?
- I guess.
- Anyways, I’m being rude: How are you doing?
- I’m good, just woke up.